Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info.

Personal Documents Needed 
For All Types of Registrations

First-Time Registration of your Car - If you buy a car that was previously registered in Alberta (not a brand new car) it must be registered under your name.

The cost will be prorated to correspond with your expiry date.

You will be asked for 3 documents:

  • Bill of Sale (we can supply with a Bill of Sale form free of charge)
  • Your proof of insurance (pink slip)
  • Identification

Generally your Driver’s Licence will be sufficient identification to prove that you are the  person on the Bill of Sale.

  • If we find that the vehicle was previously “written-off” (known as “salvage”) by an insurance company and has that status on the system you’ll need to have it inspected by an authorized mechanic before registration can be completed - Request an Online Vehicle Information Report for Alberta used vehicle information.
  • A person under 18 years old must have parental consent to register a vehicle in their name.
  • If a vehicle is being registered jointly all parties should be named on the Bill of Sale and all parties should be present. If this is not possible the absent parties must sign an authorization letter that gives their consent to be included on the registration.

If you wish to have another person register the vehicle for you, the person named on the Bill of Sale must sign an authorization letter. This gives the person permission to register the vehicle on your behalf.You may access and download a copy of “Authorization for Vehicle Services” from here.

Authorization letters can be faxed to (403) 273-3730.

New Vehicle Registration - If you are registering a brand new vehicle that has never been registered before you will be asked for the 3 documents described above plus the New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS). The auto dealership will provide you with the NVIS when you buy a new car. In this case a fax is not acceptable.

  • You must bring in the original document and it will be retained by us.

Registration Renewal - If your car was previously registered in Alberta you will need to renew your registration prior to the expiry date. When you come in to renew your registration you will be asked for current registration and/or Identification and proof of insurance. If your car is currently insured, your “pink slip” will do. If you do not have your pink slip with you, your insurance agent can fax a copy to (403) 273-3730 OR the insurance agent can email you a copy for us to view.

In-Transit Permit - To move an unregistered vehicle from one location to another in Canada, you must have a permit. You can obtain an intransit permit for 3- 7 days, depending on the distance you are driving the vehicle. In order to obtain a permit, you must have final bill of sale and valid insurance and show your valid drivers licence. Permits are not valid outside of Canada. Important: Complete addresses of where the vehicle is leaving from and going to are required.

Registration of Out-of-Province - All vehicles that were last registered outside of Alberta must be inspected by an authorized mechanic before being registered within our province. Visit our Registry with your Bill of Sale and we’ll do a search on the vehicle to find out its previous status. Depending on that status you will be required to either have an Out of Province (safety) Inspection or a Salvage Vehicle Inspection done.

  • We will provide you with a Request for Inspection form.
  • For a complete list of inspection stations, visit Alberta Transportation here .
  • After the inspection is completed you must return the form to us within 14 days and the vehicle will be registered with the record from the previous province closed out.